Saturday, February 27, 2016

The Family: A Proclamation to the World - Post #1

10 Steps to Happiness
Post #1


Last Tuesday I went to the dentist where one of the dental assistants asked me, “So, how many kids are you up to now?” I told her seven and her mouth dropped open in the usual response. She recovered and said, “Well, I struggle with my two, I don’t know how you do it!” This is also the usual response.


On Friday I took all seven of those kids to the dollar store, to be honest I was really nervous about this trip. Seven kids in the dollar store? Ya, that’s for crazy people! Before we went I reminded them that we were shopping for Nana’s birthday party this time, not for themselves. At the door I hushed them all and in we went. I quickly ushered them all to the “hair and beauty” aisle where I told them that I would give them a tour of the store so they could find the perfect gift for Nana. After the first round we walked through again and they all picked their perfect present for her. When we went to the front of the store to pay I jokingly said to the cashier, “Sorry to disturb your peace!” Her eyes went wide and she said, “Oh no! No you didn’t! Your kids are so well behaved! I don’t know how you kept them so quiet!

Later on Friday I was watching the Deacon’s basketball tournament when someone from our ward sat beside me. In the midst of our conversation he said, “Well, you two have one of the nicest families in Cardston, I don’t know how you do it!”

I bet you are starting to see a theme in my conversations with people about my family. “How do you do it?”

Most of us want to know ways to make our family relationships healthier and stronger. Lucky for us we have been given some guidance in that area. Some great information on how to have a happy family life comes directly from The Family: A Proclamation to the World.

In President Henry B. Eyring’s BYU Address about the Family Proclamation he said, “the title tells us something about how to prepare. We can expect that God won’t just tell us a few interesting things about the family; he will tell us what a family ought to be and why. And we know at the outset that we could be easily overwhelmed with such thoughts as “This is so high a standard, and I am so weak that I can never hope for such a family.” That feeling can come because what our Heavenly Father and his Son Jesus Christ want for us is to become like them so that we can dwell with them forever, in families. We know that from this simple statement of their intent: “This is my work and my glory--to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man” (Moses 1:39).”


In the middle of the seventh paragraph of that sacred document it reads, “Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities. By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners. Disability, death, or other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation.”

Check back tomorrow to see these main points broken down to see how they can help with family happiness...

No comments:

Post a Comment