Saturday, January 27, 2018

"We Must Not Surrender Our Positions or... Values"

pinterest.com
This week we were required to read a summary of the ruling that legalized gay marriage in the USA on June 26, 2015 by the Supreme Court. I learned things that I didn’t know and found my self feeling enlightened about the arguments of both the majority and the dissenters. I felt sorry for the petitioners and wondered what I would do or how I would feel if I were put into their situations. Both sides of the argument had valid points. I think that we were meant to read this article so that we could actually examine both sides of the argument. In my opinion often times members of our church obey quickly and don’t ever even consider alternative viewpoints. This article opened my eyes to the opinions and arguments of the opposing side.
Even though I empathize with the petitioners, I still believe that the Lord has laid out what he wants us to do in the scriptures of old and even now through our living prophets. In the Proclamation to the World our First Presidency states, “WE, THE FIRST PRESIDENCY and the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children.” (Hinkley et al, 1995).
LDS.org
My classmate Jerry Cripe said, "While reading the court case I have better understanding for both sides, but I continually have to remind myself, God's ways are not man's ways. Heavenly Father loves everyone who has, is, and will be on this Earth. We can love the person, but not love the sin. We are not the judge, and we need to continually love our neighbors."
Dallin H. Oaks - LDS.org
As someone who supports traditional marriage it is important to follow Elder Dallin H. Oaks advice, “Even as we seek to be meek and to avoid contention, we must not compromise or dilute our commitment to the truths we understand. We must not surrender our positions or our values.” (Oaks, 2014).
We must stand up as witnesses and examples of the goodness of our beliefs. We must let people dissent from popular opinion. We need to find ways to explain our positions with kindness. The 11th Article of Faith states, “We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.” (Article of Faith 11). Although this applies to how we worship I think it applies to this as well. We need to be allowed to keep our own beliefs and to respectfully let others believe as they will as well.
Also, as members of the LDS church we believe in “obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.” (Article of Faith 12). I don’t know what this new law means for me individually, or for temple marriages, but time will tell.
As for now, I will stand up for marriage and families, which may make me unpopular and un-liked, but I still stand with the Lord.
References:
Hinkley, G. (1995) The Family: A proclamation to the World. The First Presidency and Council of the Twelve Apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. LDS.org.
Oaks, D. (2014). “Loving Others and Living with Differences.” November 2014, Ensign.

No comments:

Post a Comment