Tuesday, March 8, 2016

The Family: A Proclamation to the World: Post #11

10 Steps to Family Happiness
Post #11

10. Wholesome Recreational Activities

Some of the best memories I have as a kid are those that I spent during summer vacation with my parents and my siblings. Why? Because that is when we got to spend the most time together. While work is definitely important and worthwhile it is also important to play! Play with your kids! Play with your spouse! Play with your siblings! Kids, teach your parents how to play! Sometimes we forget.

If I had all the time in the world and could do anything that I wanted with my spare time I would sit down with my kids and play with them, for hours, day in and day out. But alas, as a mother I have duties, responsibilities, someone has to cook. Someone has to change diapers. Those things are important, but don’t forget that a family who plays together, stays together!

I would like to share with you a list of the fun things that our family has done and still does together. For your convenience I will only include the things that don’t cost a lot of money:
  • We are so blessed to live close to the House of the Lord. Our family and many other families in our community love to walk around the temple.
  • Have a picnic on the temple lawn. This is something that my kids asks for all the time, even in the winter. 
  • Go sit down at the creek and let your kids splash around.
  • Find someone who needs some yard work and help get it done.
  • Bake cookies and take them to a neighbor or friend. Warning, it’s a good idea to make extras, especially when you have seven hungry kids staring at you!
  • Sing at the nursing and retirement homes.
  • Do a family trash clean up at the park.
  • Visit a family member you haven’t seen in a while.
  • Go Christmas Caroling.
  • Play baseball at the park, teach your kids how to play and then let them teach you the way they think the rules should be!
  • Play a board game
  • Invite other families over for dinner and/or games.
  • And don’t forget Family Home Evening!
The list is endless and with a little imagination you can think of fun activities that you can do in your own home or backyard.





Kids, you can help you parents think up ideas, and don’t forget to include your extended family, friends, and neighbors sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment