Thursday, March 10, 2016

Warriors of Peace: Part 1

Warriors of Peace
Talk given on Feb. 28, 2016
by Bill Peavoy

Part 1: The Hymn Book Paradox

It should be no secret that I love the hymns of the gospel.  Not just because I love to sing, but rather for the richness and depth of the doctrines found in our hymnal.  Our hymns have been likened to scripture and also to prayers.  It is often through song that our children first learn gospel truths.  However I find an interesting paradox within our hymnal.  Almost as though there are two competing themes.

On the one hand you have very gentle and reverent songs like, Where Can I Turn For Peace, or Nearer My God To Thee.  On the other hand you have stirring battle anthems like, We Are All Enlisted and Onward Christian Soldiers.  In one battle hymn there is reference to His terrible swift sword and the grapes of his wrath.  I don’t know if you’ve ever thought about it before, but it raises an interesting question.  Are we to be courageous warriors or meek peacemakers?

I believe the paradox is that; the best way to be a meek peacemaker is to be a courageous warrior in God’s Army.

No comments:

Post a Comment